Background: Swachh Bharat Mission, Swachhagraha initiative.
- Andhra Pradesh and Gujarat have become the first States with all cities and towns declared open defecation-free (ODF) on October 2, marking two years of the launch of the Swachh Bharat Mission.
- All the 180 cities and towns in Gujarat were declared so at a programme in Porbandar on Oct 2.
- Porbandar (the birthplace of Mahatma Gandhi) is one of the places declared ODF.
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu declared all 110 cities and towns in the State as ODF at a programme in Tirupati.
- Andhra Pradesh has been in the forefront of construction of toilets in urban areas with a Mission target of construction of 1,94,336 individual household toilets in urban areas.
- In total, 405 cities and towns have so far been claimed to have become ODF along with 20,000 of the 82,000 urban wards in the country. Another 334 cities and towns would become ODF by March next year.